IMSI : Intracytoplasmic Morphologically-Selected Sperm Injection
Even after two decades of ICSI we are still questioning the safety of offsprings born from ICSI. Sperm selection criteria and methods to optimize the selection have undergone a lot of research in the last decade. Intracytoplasmic morphologically-selected sperm injection (IMSI) is one such method evolved for optimizing sperm selection during ICSI at a very high magnification. The major advantage of IMSI is that it’s a real time imaging technique which doesn’t compromise the sperms quality and has shown to improve pregnancy rates and lower miscarriage rates.
Who can benefit from IMSI?
- Couples with previous Failed ICSI cycles
- Couples with previous total failed fertilization cycles during IVF
- Male partners with very high DNA fragmentation index
- Severe male factor infertility
- Unexplained infertility
- Recurrent miscarriages
- High risk cases (congenital anomalies)
- Previous pregnancy with an abnormal fetus